Friday, May 08, 2009

Where is Taiwan? ( 4 of 31)

Where is Taiwan?

My older daughter speaks in a perfectly American Accent …( It will soon be British Accent) She is often greeted with this question mostly by adults occasionally her peers…too..

“Are you from America?”

Initially she would say no…but now she would clarify “I just went to an American School?”. That would be followed by another question “where”…to which she would reply “Taiwan”…4 out of 5 persons would say ….Oh so you are from “America” and would continue with the chatters…..and she would secretly feel proud that she had a fine American Accent and anyways “Its cool to be American” in her perspective!…

If I am around I am often quick to clarify that she has never been to America and Taiwan is not in America…and some would promptly want to enhance their geography and ask where is Taiwan?…Then the best explanation that I have managed to say is its near Japan and all of a sudden I would be asked so she speaks Japanese also ? So here I am again explaining she learned Chinese and can reasonably write characters and blah blah

3 comments:

  1. The only other language ( apart from English) that i speak is fluent gibberish!...i never knew this until my wife told me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well Wonder if you have heard of Singlish! I can speak that...

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://www.singlishdictionary.com/

    should check this out...my favourite vocabulary is "Can die" and "cannot make it"

    ReplyDelete

I thank you for reading and leaving a note!