Thursday, May 07, 2009

I am Learning English(2 of 31)

Tights and School Dinners

Its the first time I am living in a country where the official and only language is English.

My first language is English or I like to say so .From about 10 years of age I have thought and mainly written only in English.This is inspite of the fact we spoke Malayalam at home but since I went to a Irish convent boarding school I had no choice but to speak English.

So here I come to UK with all my English knowledge and I am surprised how much I dont know...

My first instance was in M & S

I have a list of uniform the girls are expected to wear.So for the legs it said Grey Tights or Grey or White Socks.

So I picked up the grey tights packet as in the photo below and asks the lady at the counter:


Me: " When they wear the "Tights" is there any need for socks?".
Lady: "These are the the normal tights even my daughter wears them to school all the time"
Me:"So do I need to buy socks?"
Lady: "This is the school Tights"

Well by then with two sleepy and tired girls as we then lived in Canary Wharf and was shopping in Croydon I decided I am buying it and we'll see what else is needed later.The reason is I have seen "Tights" without covering the feet and they end in ankles..not sure what you would call them in English really!

So I came back and decided to check the dictionary:
And my American dictionary said " A garment that fits closely and covers the hips,legs and feet" and my OXFORD Dictionary referred to similar adding usualy worn by dancers and acrobats..."

Anyways the girls liked it covering their feet. And I started to realise I need to be more watchful that I dont know enough English.

Then the first day of School I am told they can have School Dinners.Well in the whole of Asia Dinner is referred to a meal you have in the evening.And I firmly believed so.Well with the conversation that I was having with the lady at the school office I figured out it was their lunch.I couldn't help but ask why is it called "Dinner"..She had a quick reply "Well...its made in house and so it is equivalent to a home cooked meal(cooked in school premises) ,so we refer it to as Dinner"...Hmm I thought may be Dinner means a home cooked meal..so when I get home let me check it up...

To my surprise my Oxford Dictionary did say it refers to the "Chief meal of the day-whether eaten midday or evening" it did not say "Home Cooked"My American Dictionary only said it refers to the main meal of the day.

So I am learning English in the English Country!

3 comments:

  1. I loved this post Vinoo...there is the eternal discussion even now as to what constitutes 'Dinner'...Dinner is the main meal of the day...which nowadays is taken in the evening,in times past was always at lunch time...children and workers would often return home to eat together...because families lived close to where they went to school and where they worked.

    As for tights...you wouldn't expect to wear socks aswell.you also describe footless tights which also might be refered to 'leggings'depending on the thickness....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well Niall its amazing how you learn new things....even in Engliah!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always remember the old saying usually quoted by Americans..."England and America...two countries separated by a common language".
    When you look deeper into British society..you'll find VERY different dialects even within the same counties...

    ReplyDelete

I thank you for reading and leaving a note!