Sunday, May 17, 2009

Dosa Story (11 of 31)

Making Dosa( ) is something I had to learn for survival so that my girls will eat something healthy we landed in Taipei...So I went all out and learned as explained in this link...

When we moved to UK one of the things I packed in the air shipment was my mixi ( The Indian type) along with Urad Dal and Dosa Rice so that as soon as we move to our new home I can make it for the girls...While we waited to move to our new home...we managed to eat Dosa at this restaurant...

I made the first Dosa Batter as soon as we moved and the girls and hubby was happy and was feeling more at home in the new environment...Once that stock was exhausted and shipment never arrived still, a friend told me about ready made Dosa Batter that was readily available....and must say it was the easiest thing to make like you would pancake out of a readymade pancake mix..It costed a little under 2.5 pounds and you can between 15-18 Dosas...The batter is excellent and cant even compare to what we used to buy in Kochi/Bangalore/Singapore. And we continued to buy packets of it and dosa was part of everyday meals.

Then as we began settling down and unpacked things...I decided let me start making Dosa batter that I used to make back in Taipei ...I really dont like wasting things and I had stock of Ural Dal that is bought from Kochi/Singapore/Hongkong , taken by air to Taipei, stored under 0 degrees in deep freezers and now shipped to UK..So beyond the cost, the trouble of ensuring these things are in stock was part of the challenges every Indian family faced living in Taipei!

So one fine morning I made the batter which is close to a 24hr process... and made the Dosa Batter...and guess what ....my daughter days"Cant you just throw this and get the one from UK...Its so much tastier"...I was determined ..and made them eat slowly...promising I will buy the readymade batter the following week...luckily I met families who still like to make the batter and was happy to part some of my Stock that have travelled half the world.

2 comments:

  1. I can understand your determination to continue making your batter by hand rathere than relying on commecially available mixes.Food is more than necessity..it's also about identity and culture.

    By the way...have you tired good old British fish 'n' chips yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeh Niall...the good old fish 'n' chips solace often....especially when we are out seeing places!

    ReplyDelete

I thank you for reading and leaving a note!