Monday, May 11, 2009

St Patrick's Day and St George's Day (6 of 31)

Well every country you go and every school my children attend will have its own set of special days!

When my 6 year old wanting to go to school all dressed in green on March 17th for St Patrick’s day….I had no concerns…I was all too familiar with St Patrick’s day celebrations myself in my school days ( the school being run by Irish nuns)…also my 9 year old was there to confirm.
Riona ( 6 years old ) came back very happy from school because in the Infants assembly the teacher made a special mention and told her “I am really happy you are listening in the assembly time. You look lovely in green today”….

And that was it…but when on April 22nd evening she insisted she needs to be dressed in red the next day…I was surprised…I had no clue what was coming….and my older daughter was no longer in the same school….well to my luck as I stepped into the car to drop my husband to the station…the morning show folks were wishing every 10 seconds ”Happy St George’s Day”…so as soon as I came up I googled (Thank god for internet) and figured out red was the colour for the day…So when she woke up I tried telling her you can wear your uniform under your red dress. but she would have nothing of it…So off we went to school in a red dress…

While taking her to her classroom I mentioned to her I don’t see any one wearing red…she said” mamma they all forget”…so I came home little worried…that the assembly she should not be the only one in non uniform….It wouldn’t do her good in a relatively new environment…

To make the story short when I went to pick her up I did see couple of children in some red clothes….but she did not look cheerful at all…So on my inquiry ….she said….”All the girls are saying I wore this dress before" and I think she did on red nose day…"so they said then it wont count!”.

Her excitement had all vanished away….and I was quietly happy that the next time she wont be so stubborn …and I will not forget April 23 rd is St George’s Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I thank you for reading and leaving a note!