Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Grocery Shopping (14 of 31)

These are just simple thoughts that may get you thinking!

How do you shop for groceries?


I do them online now except for the Indian Groceries (about 5 items) I make a trip once in 10 days to an Indian Store.


Do you have an idea what will be the amount you will be spending when you enter a grocery store?

I never do for the last 10 years. I don’t think it’s the right thing to do but I just enter and pick up what I want. I may look at individual prices but has lost the habit of trying to calculate the total even approximately before I reach the cashier ….well you know the reason why? This is what credit cards do to you. If I had to shop only with cash I will have to make sure I have enough before I take that impulsive decision to try a new dessert / ready meal option.This is an advantage of online shopping everytime you click Add you know the total is getting displayed in front of you.


Do you run to the store every few days to buy things you ran out of, or do you shop once a week with a list?

I dislike doing this and kind of get put off when I meet people who buy groceries every day.

While we were in Singapore we had an in-house grocery store within the complex and I know a few families (even with kids) who bought something everyday and even twice and thrice…never understood why they do that.

Are you an impulse shopper?

I am.. I buy if I feel like trying something .The only way to avoid the situation is “Don’t go to the shop”..I feel its not as compelling even if you see the same thing online.


Where do I shop?

I normally stick to one or two superstores I am familiar with. I cant tell you I did the same thing everywhere as I lived in different cities and they had different options?

In Bangalore I used to shop at Food World and later online at Fabmall now called IndiaPlaza. I would also have to visit a wet market for meat/fish/vegetables….

In Singapore I would shop at cold storage,fair price and the famous Mustafa.While I would shop both going to stores and online Mustafa was a must trip every 20 days for the Indian groceries.

In Taipei, Costco was my favorite followed by RT Mart.

And now in UK after having been to all the ones Waitrose, Marks and Spencer ,ASDA, Sainsburys and TESCO..I stick to online TESCO.and I have been happy….


Do you always make a list before you go?

Sometimes do but has a long way to go to make that perfect list that I didn’t miss anything.

It is said Grocery stores are designed to keep you in the store as long as possible.

All 'essential' items (milk, bread, produce) are located on the extreme corners of the store, so the shopper will have to pass by plenty of tempting items even if you're just running in for a quart of milk.

The most expensive products are placed at eye level (except for kid's products, which are placed at their eye level).

Products on display at the end of aisles are usually not on sale or a special buy.

Some Grocery List Making tips!

Attach a notebook to your pantry or refrigerator and make a list of items as you use them up.

Check the lists before you shop and you'll never unexpectedly run out of anything.


Didn't I sound like a Grandmother?
At least I thought so!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I thank you for reading and leaving a note!