Thursday, May 14, 2009

I am learning English - 2 ( 8 of 31)

Well this time is at Roseby's.

I actually learnt a new word.

Having to look for some curtain for couple of rooms I walked in Roseby's to check if anything reasonable was there...All items virtually was on SALE!...so I picked up two packets both looked identical to me for some reason ..so I chose one of them and went to the lady at the counter...I asked : Will this come with tape so I can use with the hooks( had that packet to show her )...She replied:Yes But this is only the Valance!

So here I am wondering in my head"What is Valance" so I went back to that section picked up identical design but three different prices and went to the Cashier and showed the picture on the cover and asked..what are these? She said "This is curtain and That is Valance"...So I bravely picked up the curtain and came home....and googled "VALANCE"

What is VALANCE?

According to Webster:

1 : a drapery hung along the edge of a bed, table, altar, canopy, or shelf
2 : a short drapery or wood or metal frame used as a decorative heading to conceal the top of curtains and fixtures

My apologies if all of you knew the word before ...well no one in my family did!

So I am learning English finally!

2 comments:

  1. Nope...didnt know what a valance was;-P

    So thanks...learnt something new today;-D!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Relections! I feel good to have company ...or else I was wondering Do I really know very little English?

    ReplyDelete

I thank you for reading and leaving a note!