Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Plimsolls! (15 of 31)



Plimsolls

I am learning English – 3

Tanya :Mama , the teacher said I have to wear Plimsolls for PE tomorrow.
Me: Ok you take your trainers and see what happens!

That was the conversation between my older daughter and me one evening.

The Next day “Mama I wore the same shoes she said these are Plimsolls so I don’t have to take my trainers.”

Shoes she wore



So here I googled Plimsolls to keep myself updated:

Here are some facts I found:

A type of athletic shoe with a canvas upper and rubber sole, developed as beachwear in the 1800’s

Originally called a “sandshoe”acquired the nickname “plimsoll” in 1870’s from the waterline –Plimsoll Line referring to an imaginary line marking the level at which a ship or boat floats in the water

Ok what do other countries call them?


North America: Sneakers or Tennis Shoes or Chucks

Australia : Sandshoes

UK:Plimsolls/Pumps Also known as “Gutties” or “Daps or Dappers” in Northern Ireland, wales and Scotland

South Africa :Tekkies

India : Keds or Canvas Shoes

Couple of days later we had to go for drama classes so I told my daughters :

You need to wear Plimsolls! So Tanya turns around” Mama you know what Plimsolls are ? I thought you didn’t know! How did you know that? “ I didn’t realize she was secretly being proud picking up new vocabulary without her mother knowing in the English speaking country!

1 comment:

  1. As a child, Plimsolls were always refered to as 'Pumps' and you kept them in a 'Pump Bag' (a lethal weapon in any 7 year old's hands!)..but these are not refered to as 'Trainers'..

    ReplyDelete

I thank you for reading and leaving a note!