Friday, July 10, 2009

Spelling Age

As I continue to read and understand the 11+exams...one of the things I was supposed to find out is what is my child's spelling age!

Well it wasn't as bad as I thought they had given a list of words and you had to take a spelling test.

Since I had to take the test for T, I decided might as well take for R...the earlier you know where you need to improves it save every one a lot of trouble.

So one morning I kept both of them at the different ends of their table and gave the test.

My results:

T is 9 years and 7 months and has a spelling age of 14 years.
R is 6 years and 10 months and has a spelling age of 6 years and 6 months.

To be very fair I was not focusing at all at R and she was getting a little too distracted as a vast majority of words was way beyond her age...so I concluded she is probably just where her age requirement is....

The spelling age is arrived at the following formula:

Add up the total out of 50
Double the score
Divide this number by 10
Add on 5

So if T got 45 correct ,then double that is 90 divide by 10 is 9 and add 5 is 14 years - spelling age.
And if R got 8 correct, then double that is 16 divide by 10 is 1.6 and add 5 is 6.6 which is read as 6 years and 6 months.

So if you want to try here is a list of words

Choose any row out of the each pair of words...

Do let me know if you found this useful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I thank you for reading and leaving a note!