Monday, July 20, 2009

I am learning English

I was told by my friend we must go "punting" in Cambridge and for some reason I thought it sounded lie "ponding" and kept wondering what it is all about.

The "Punter" I was used to is more a trading with a gambling mentality and so had no clue what the word meant.

Here is what I have discovered about it.

punt as a noun
A kick in which the ball is dropped from the hands and kicked before it touches the ground.
as a verb
To propel (a ball) by means of a punt.

as a verbal interjection

1. To execute a punt.
2. Informal To cease doing something; give up: Let's punt on this and try something else.

Other meanings

1. Games To lay a bet against the bank, as in roulette.
2. Chiefly British Slang To gamble.
3.The indentation in the bottom of a champagne or wine bottle.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I thank you for reading and leaving a note!