Thursday, October 18, 2007

Taipei Living

Another day in Taipei

My attempt is to do this daily log atleast for 5 days and must tell you its hard!

Wednesday

After dropping Sedj I needed to attend a meeting at a school - South of Taipei...Neither have I been to the school before nor to the South...so I started the day's adventure rather cautiously...and decided to take MRT ( Mass Rapid Transport) System.

After parking in a familiar location I decided to take a 500 mt walk to the station...on the way I noticed and took a few pictures of bicycles get parked on top of each other and how the electric scooters have been provided charging facility.Its a new sight for me...to see bicycles stacked on top of each other..

Bicycle Parking

A typical MRT entrance and a map


Electric Scooter Charging


I got into the already packed train and decided to venture to my destination.
For those coming to Bethany via subway, the Tai Power stop, Exit #1 will bring you almost to our doorstep. It is just a matter of about a five minute walk to reach the campus.

I had the following instruction sheet
====================================
When exiting the subway stop walk south-west (down and to-the-left on the map) on Hsin Hai until the road ends. Cross Hsin Hai and walk south-east on Ting Chou (down and to-the-right on the map). Bethany Campus is the large orange tiled building about 100 yards down the road on the left, across from a large hospital.


Having come out of Exit 1 I am wondering what is south-west- (lesson to be learnt may be should carry a compass) I am looking for Hsin Hai and the only road I could assosciate with is Xin Xai.. well that diffferent can be road names when they get translated to English from Chines.Having lived in Taipei now I am getting used to and guessing the assosciated nomenclature.



After asking couple of pedestrians with the written Chinese address 25 minutes before the scheduled start time of the meeting....the security guard who spoke only Chinese...was convinced I was at the wrong place and kept sending people fromthe office who spoke little English to make sure I needed to wait there till I met one of the actual members came in....

I met a group of great commited parents ..all volunteering.....and most of them spoke fluent Chinese though they were not from Taipei....I for the first time met an Indian lady who said is Translator...who spoke fluent Chinese...

Well after the meeting I caught the MRT and headed to TES (Taipei Eurpoean School ) for their Grand opeing...I hardly saw any program but managed to meet a few parents at lunch....and actually got some info on skating classes for kids...see sometimes you get what you need just being around....

Came home to catch up on my email...again to run to pick up Tanya from voice training class and headed home....

Evenings are hectic at home.....both kids have piano classes and a long break before their Chinese session.

This was one of those days Tanya did not sit through the class saying her legs are under pain....because of a PE activity of running 2 rounds in the field...
well we took the time to discuss what can be achieved in Chinese ove next 6 months...


So yet another hectic day gone by...

No comments:

Post a Comment

I thank you for reading and leaving a note!