Monday, March 12, 2007

Holi




My first Holi celebration and that too in Taipei...miles away from India....

As a child....in a convent boarding school in Kodaikanal Holi was just a festival of colours described in the Social Studies Text Book....Back in Kochi during my college days...I remember my mother telling us as we step out to college...be careful today its Holi and watch out the holi celebrations on the road...Other than college goers I dont remember any celebration so that was one of those days I would definitely take home a college bus.....

In Bangalore....I had to be careful else you get bathed in colours in certain parts...but would go early to office that day and mostly return in the late hours home when the celebrations have died down...alternatively if holi happens to be on weekend then just stay put at home and watch all the fun from the balconies ....I remember one holi in 2001 one of the neighbours actually rang the door bell and smeared colours on me and one year old daughter.....

Fast Forward Singapore....I only remember reading newspaper reports that said Indians celebrated Holi organised by some society...and normally its weeks after the actual Holi ..like its on 18th March 2007 this year...

Fast Fast Forward Taipei...

The last thing I would have thought that we would be celebrating Holi in Taipei ...
As the planning was going on I was wondering....what would happen....anyways my kids had a good time although they could never relate to the real spirit of it.I had my 7 year old whining that "these boys are troubling me " when toddlers tried smearing colours on her ...today they dont even have the Social studies text book I once had,as I grew up.....but they have good memories of their father looking like a "joker" in their words...and one nice "aunty " who was kind enough to organise such a nice party.....with a lot of fun things...and even a playground to play .Thanks monideepa and Subhasis for all the effort...we will remember this as our first holi get together as a family....
and great variety of food and fabulous colours....

I took very few photos...thats why men should keep the camera...

No comments:

Post a Comment

I thank you for reading and leaving a note!