Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Singapore

Very often I have been asked for tips when friends and family travel to Singapore...
Having been in and out of the city last 7 years....I think I can more or less answer the questions to most person's needs.

This is the fifth time in last 6 months I was asked so I thought I might as well write a post so that anyone can use it as a reference...


Some basic facts before I give you "What to see" in Singapore

Republic of Singapore has an area of 699.1 sq km and a Population of 4 million.

People comprise of 76% Chinese, 15% Malay, 6% Indian

Languages widely used English, Malay, Mandarin and Tamil. Though trust me English can get you around everywhere easily.
Time Zone : GMT/UTC+8 Electricity: 220-240V, 50 Hz County code: +65 Mobile Phone network: GSM 900, GSM 1800, 3G

Now coming to "What you should see"

SENTOSA

Sentosa is a great island....and one can spend easily a whole day there.If you have only one day to sight see in Singapore this would be the place to go...

It will be ideal to get to the island by the Cable Car.
When you buy the Cable car tickets you normally get along with it admission tickets to some of the attractions on Sentosa..

For a first timer my suggestion would be to buy a guided tour as you buy the tickets.
Check out the options available!

Some of the must sees are Under Water World and Dolphin Lagoon especially for kids.

The timings of Dolphin Lagoon are 1.30pm, 3.30pm & 5.30pm daily ( do check it up)and hence need to keep it in your planning for the day.Also be at the venus at least 15 minutes prior to the show...they tend to get filled up soon!


My recommendation would be to go on a week day as weekends would get very crowded..also if you have to do it on a weekend be there atleast by 9 AM.

If you have another day to spend my recommendation would be

The Jurong Bird Park , Night Safari and Singapore Zoo in that order.

The easiest way to get there other than taxi is

Take the MRT to Boon Lay Station and transfer to SBS number 194 or 251 at the Boon Lay Bus Interchange.

The park is open from 9 am to 6 pm.
I would recommend strongly picking up Park Hopper Tickets for all the three.They are normally valid for a month.

Where to pick them up - at any othe venues or even online...
The shows are really good so plan your time so that you can catch as many shows

The show times are available on this link : SHOW TIMES

If you can break off after lunch and move towards Zoo I think a good amount of time has been spent....


Singapore Zoo
The Singapore Zoo is a model of the `open zoo' concept. Its really a great zoo for families to enjoy!

The show times of the zoo.I would recommend the night safaris shows if you have not enought time for all shows....The zoo is worth walking around and exploring...

Its open from 8:30 to 6 pm

So if one can spend post lunch to 6 pm at the zoo it would be ideal!

For getting to zoo apart from Taxi I suggest the Zoo express the details in this link

Zoo Express.

You can ideally be there till 6 PM and have your dinner at the one of the food outlets and be ready for Night Safari which opens at 7:30 pm....

Get to see the show first and then take the tram rides...

Show Times:
7.30pm, 8.30pm, and 9.30pm daily

You can comfortably be ready to go back home by 9:30pm....if you do attend the show first.

If you are a museum lover then there are two museums to visit .I have been to them myself only once...The only one I would recommend is Asian Civilisation Museum

Check out the details on this link MUSEUMS

If you are a park lover then I would recommend Singapore Botancial Gardens and the National Orchid Garden -Check out the details!


So apart from the first 2 days schedule I suggested I thing Shopping is the biggest thing to do in Singapore

Here is my favorite list of places to go while shopping in Singapore


1. OG at Orchard Point Robinsions in Centre Point Mall and John Little (opp Centre Point).

You can easily spend half a day in just these 3 malls...

2.I am yet to see some one who doesn't go to Mustafa in Little India...Its a great shopping place... a whole day can be easily spend there on Syed Alwi Road
Check out their site for how to get there!I also love the South Indian joint Annapoorna for some good Indian food!

Suntec City is another of my favourite- Carrefour there is a definite stop one need to make!


China town - a tourist attraction...definitely -after having lived in Taipei now not sure I can appreciate it enough!

Sim Lim Square is a must visit if your favourite past time is shopping for gadgets.

Singapore River Cruise is another attraction.Clark Quay- one can comfortably spend an evening walking around there..

Singapore boasts of all kinds of food and restaurants ..ok my singapore favourite is Black Pepper Crab......and I like it at Jumbo the best....you will see two of their outlets at Clark Quay

Another great family destination is the East Coast Park and the beach there...

And thats it for now so if any of you have any more questions do post a comment and I will reply ASAP.

Thanks

2 comments:

  1. Why do you write about it in such a wonderful way?..now I want to visit your country too!!!I'm only a pennyles artist!:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure ! You must....it will open a whole world of possibilities....you wont believe when I moved out of India for the first time....it expanded my thoughts on a lot of matters....and by the way Taipei/Taiwan is also awesome....I didnt even know where Taiwan was before we had to move here!

    ReplyDelete

I thank you for reading and leaving a note!